Neo-Khuzdul Dictionaries for Lotro Dwarves

“Forgive me mymiddleearth.com, for it has been over a month since my last post”, I whispered through the lattice.  ;)

Though on the bright side I’ve been using the past month or so for quite some items you’ll be finding on the blog in the very near future.

One of those items is related to our neo-khuzdul lessons.

As most no longer have access to the khuzdul tools (due to linking problems), or find the tools to heavy for their PCs, I’ve made 2 PDF dictionaries for all Lotro dwarves to download and use.

Some points to take into account concerning these:
* This is a Beta version – meaning that some items might not be included as yet.
* As the other lessons, the content is based on a) Tolkien’s writings  b) David Salo’s writings  c) Khuzdul Vocabulary used in Lotro d) Adunâic  e) Modern day semitic languages such as Hebrew and Arabic.
* These documents do not contain information related to conjugation, tenses, systems or word order.

KHUZDUL-ENGLISH

ENGLISH – KHUZDUL

Search Tip:  As these are in PDF, the easiest way to search is simpy to use CRTL-F and type what you need.

Other documents, previously embedded in “the Khuzdul Tools (part of the Neo-Khuzdul lessons)” will also be available via pdf soon.

This entry was posted in Language. Bookmark the permalink.

124 Responses to Neo-Khuzdul Dictionaries for Lotro Dwarves

1. J says:

Yep… I tried to find the rude words. xD
    But seriously, amazing work, very fun and informative to read through, must have taken a damn long time!

• This is actually part of a much larger project that has been several months in the making, of which I’ll be posting more soon… but thank you so much, glad you like it.

About those rude words, there are few… but you’ll have more luck with the expressions list (to be posted soon). :)

2. Tamanny Knox says:

Is there a way you could make these files available without going through Scribd ? They keep asking me to sign up as some kind of “premium user” to download the files. Meaning it would cost me money to get them.

I don’t really like Scribd, and don’t want to sign up for them just to download a couple of files.

Any other way to get them ?

• Hi there, thanks!
      No worries. I’m working on updating many documents (see latest post on the blog).
      Once I’m done with these I’ll send them via email to you.

• Jamie C. says:

I agree with J, and would absolutely love a copy of these dictionaries, but am really not interested in subscribing to Scribd.

• Arcon says:

I would definitely like a copy too if it isn’t too much trouble.

• Tamanny Knox says:

Do you need an e-mail for me so you can send the documents – which I would really, really enjoy. We have a lot of Dwarf characters in our Middle-Earth roleplay.

You can use the e-mail I put in with my reply, among the “required fields” – if you can get it. If not I’ll type it in here.

• Actually – and this goes for all that sign up here – you really don’t need to provide me with an email address. As long as the email address you used to register on mymiddleearth is still valid you are ok. As I can see the email address of the registered user when he/she posts a comment. So no need to share your email address with all if you don’t feel like it.

Cheers

You’ve obviously put a lot of work into this, that’s awesome! Keep up the good work. I would love a copy as well if it isn’t much trouble.

• Ogma says:

Hey. Um. I was wondering if i could get a copy of this text. It would be much appreciated. I have always been fascinated by the dwarves and there customs and to learn bits of there language would be awesome
        !

Please add me to the list of recipients, too. Some of the documents are OK to read on scribd, but the dictionaries load for a long time through my slow internet connection and are very, very hard to read (due to the small font).

Oh, and a big “Thank You” for putting so much time and effort into this !

May I also be allowed to be added to the List? :) I’m really looking forward to taking a look at this.

• the Hlaalu says:

I am really happy to see so many fans of Tolkien that wants to learn about the Khuzdul language. Me included ;D i will thank you on beforehand

I may be a tad late to the party, but I would also like to get a copy of the Dictionaries, if it isn’t a hassle now.
      I’m creating some Dwarven weapons and shields, and I’m looking for additional words and phrases to use on them.
      Thank you very much!

3. Svenja says:

Wow, amazing work! How long did this take you to compile?

Could you make these available somewhere other than scribd? I really can’t afford to sign up with them, sad as that may sound.

• It took me about half a year to compile the first draft versions. Have been updating them ever since. About getting a copy of these, no worries at all. I’ve added you to my list, so I’ll send you the documents, free of charge off course, when I’m done updating them.

4. Avatar of dreamingfifi dreamingfifi says:

Impressive work, as always!

5. catc10 says:

How do I sign up to get the updated versions, though?

6. LadyLC says:

Hi,
    I’d like to sign up for the updated versions. Thanks!

7. Clementine says:

I’m really impressed by the effort you’ve put into this dictionary and your readiness to share. Since I also struggled with the afore-mentioned SCRIBD problems, would you mind adding me to your mailing list? Thank you so much. I’ll be eternally thankful. ;-)

8. Avatar of Kelpie Kelpie says:

These are incredible! Would it be possible to get the pdfs as well? I would much appreciate it, I’ve been meaning to learn Khuzdul :)

9. nowhere-dottir says:

Oh my gosh this is brilliant! I’ve been learning Khuzdul for a while and this is just fantastic and it’s incredibly informative as fore-mentioned in the first comment. Like seriously thank you so much for making and sharing this :D (oh uhm and I’m awfully sorry to bother you but, if it isn’t a burden, may I be added to the mailing list? eep sorry and thanks for this again :) )

10. Avatar of Winwhal Winwhal says:

I would absolutely -adore- being added to the email list for the pdfs of these, I’ve been trying to learn Khuzdul for a while now and can never find good reference for the language.

11. Avatar of Shannon Shannon says:

I would also love to be put on the list for the pdfs. I found them through another fan, but cannot afford to pay for a single use of the site.

Thank you very much!

12. Sarra says:

LOVE the dictionary, but does Khuzdul have any words like “Want, desire, have, need, do, must, my, trust, give, take” etc?

• Hello, thank you for the kind words.

Yes, like any language Khuzdul has verbs, “want, desire, need, trust, etc.. “. Trust for instance uses the radicals “KRT”. Meaning that all words related to trust use these radicals. Examples: “(the) trust” = “akrât” / “never trust an elf” = “nî ikirit fund”. Some words however like “must”, “shall”, “will”, “may” or “can”, are auxillary verbs and are added to the verb stem. For instance = “The Lord can trust us” = “Uzbad katakrutimâ”. “katakrutimâ” consists of “ka-” (can) + “ta-” (3rd person singular) + “kruti” (imperfect stem) + “mâ” (us). So, it isn’t a simple translation unfortunately to translate auxillary verbs such as “can”, “will/shall”, etc… . Note: This kind of information will be included in the updated dictionaries. Hope that answers your question Sarra.

13. Jesseka says:

I, too, would love to be added to the mailing list. This has been more than helpful to me so far with starting to learn the language! Thank you!

14. Fabulous work! You have a much better understanding of language than I do (and a lot more patience). Please, add me to the list!

15. André Deffland says:

Hi,
    please send me the PDF of Neo Khuzdul , Scribd doesnt seem to like me uploading stuff … so i cant get it out of there =P

And you did some very impressive work there … should get a title like “Honorary Dwarf” or something =)

16. Francis says:

I’d like to be added to your mailing list for the dictionary, Do I need to create an account with mymiddleearth.com, or are you able to see the email address it required me to enter when I posted this comment?

17. Kim says:

Amazing work! I’d also like to be added to the list. Thank you!

18. Jordan says:

Can you add me to your mailing list.

19. Avatar of veronica veronica says:

Hey I signed up to my middleearth but somehow the log in didn’t work. Anyways I’d love a copy of your Khuzdul dictionary. I’d be grateful if you could add me to your mailing list, cheers

20. Sarah says:

I would love to get the updated version of this to use some of the words for a story I’m working on.

21. Mel says:

Hey!
    I really like your work. Can you add me to your mailing list?

22. Dwarf says:

Can i have a simple version of the khudzul with after the letters how you speak it.

• I will ensure you get an updated version of the documents. Though note, my PC is in the shop unfortunately so the documents will be delayed a bit further.
      You’ll get them via email when I can send them, thanks for the patience.

23. Dwarf says:

I am not english so if i write something wrong,sorry

24. K L says:

Please sign me up for the updated copies. Thanks

25. Swash says:

Hey I don’t think my last comment worked, could you add me to the mailing list please?
    Much appreciated!
    Cheers.

26. Jacob says:

Would be much obliged if you were to add me to the list as well!

27. Kysen says:

Hi, I’d love to be added to the email list for the pdfs! These look absolutely amazing, and I’d love to take a look at them. :)

28. Alex says:

I would be interested in a copy, this looks amazing. Dwarves DESERVE the effort you’ve put in to give them life.

29. Praween says:

So, bassicly the mymiddleearth.com is part of this right?
    So looks like a fun site!! Defintly signing up for this. I wonder if i could learn Kuzdul that fast! :) Dwarrow scholar? Here is my email: praween@telenet.be

greetz
    Praween

30. Avatar of Mitchell Mitchell says:

I know this is a little late, but I only just caught into this amazing, helpful piece of artwork. I loved reading it, and would enjoy further if I could get a copy (latest please) via email. Thank you.
    ~please get back to me ASAP, I can’t wait to start and continue my knowledge and understanding of the Khuzdul language. :)

31. megacampiona says:

Hi!. I’ve just discovered your dictionary, and, as many others, I think it’s you who should be paid for this work, and not scribd. Would you be so kind as to send me a copy? Maybe you should think of selling it ;)

Thanks in advance!
    Marivi

32. Omnir says:

Awesome work! : D Really helping me bring life to our MERP sessions (and my story writing concerning the fallen Dwarven settlement they are in~)

Could I be added to the mailing list for the updates?

33. Greg says:

I would love this off Scribd if I could as well.

• I won’t be providing the scribd documents, as these will be going offline soon. Meaning that I’ll be providing updates off those via email, to the people that requested to be added to the mailing list.

Cheers

34. Skuldan says:

The dictionary is going offline?! I NEED to be on the mailing list please. To have recorded all these words and translations is amazing. You truly have Dwarven determination!

35. Bismuth says:

Don’t know if I’m late or not, but this is truly amazing. Any chance I could be on that mailing list too?

36. Ailin says:

I’d like to be added to the mailing list, please (not sure if I have commented before, so just in case)

37. luvsbitca says:

Hi,
    I would love to get a pdf copy of this emailed as well if possible. I can’t get the doc out of the website either.
    Thanks.

38. Dwarf Lady says:

Hello,

Is it possible to obtain an updated version of your dictionary as well? I love it and find your work truly impressive, plus, I need it for my fanfic^^ and I admit that I love Khuzdul!

Thank you!

39. Alice Becker says:

Hey, if you’re still working on this/active, I would LOVE to be added to the mailing list. This is really cool stuff you’ve got here, just looking at the words is giving me all kinds of story ideas! Thanks for your hard word!

Alice

40. I’d really like to be on this mailing list too, as well as get a copy of the dictionary since I really don’t want to mess with scribd. Do you think it’s possible to get me onto the list? Please?

41. Hey, I recently stumbled onto this amazing dictionary and if I’m not too late could I possibly be added to the email list? I am a language enthusiast and Khuzdul is high on my list of languages to learn… Thanks!!

42. Magnamune says:

If you’re still accepting names onto the mailing list, I request the addition of my name. My RP group would be most thankful.

43. Avatar of Ashleigh Ashleigh says:

I’d like to sign up for the mailing list :)

44. Mercedes says:

I hope I’m not too late, but I would like to sign up for the mailing list. Your dictionaries are simply amazing! In these last few weeks I have found out how much more difficult it is to find the correct translation of an unknown Dwarvish word in a story than an Elvish one, but I was so very happy when I found your site. Finally I could understand what was being said! You have my thanks!

45. khardoun says:

This is amazing, I too would love to be added to the mailing list. You’ve put a lot of time and effort into these and it’s beyond appreciated.

46. Keirta says:

I about dropped dead when I found this. And then to read that its going offline soon made me want to cry. If its not too much trouble I would love to be added to the mailing list. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.

47. NeverMineToHold says:

I was very happy to have found this – and sad to hear that it will go offline soon! It is a remarkable work, and show of dedication on your part!

If at all possible, could I please get a copy of the pdf-file dictionary? Correct Neo-Khuzdul is so much harder to find than anything elvish; that file would be a great help! Thank you very much in advance :)

48. Olga says:

Hello, I do hope I am not yet late for signing up and receiving the pdf copy of the dictionary. I’ve majored in Linguistics as my undergrad, so I do appreciate all the amazing unbelievably difficult work that you’ve done. Thank you ever so much for creating this website for other enthusiasts.

49. Megan says:

This is absolutely fantastic! I found it nearly 2 weeks ago and have referenced it several times a day since, but only now scrolled down far enough to see it’ll be going offline!
    If you are still taking names please do add me to the mailing list as well, I would absolutely love a copy! If you need to confirm my email please let me know and I will be happy to provide it.

50. Mo says:

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a PDF copy of the dictionaries. My hat off to you sir, I’ve just started teaching myself Khuzdul and Cirth and your site is by far the best resource on the Internet.

51. Adri says:

I’d love to be added to the mailing list. Thank you for the work you’ve put into this! What a glorious resource.

52. Ann V says:

If possible, please add me to your mailing list. I find this quite fascinating!

53. Nat says:

I would like to sign up to the mailing list as well, if it is still available. =]

54. Soulnova says:

Hello!

Excuse me, I would love to get these pdf by email. Is it still possible to add me to the mailing list??

55. Avatar of Sharky Sharky says:

May I also join the mailing list? It would be fantastic to avoid scribd.

56. Hello! Can I join the mailing list too? Scribd requires membership :/

57. Avatar of Eva Eva says:

If you are still adding to the mailing list, could you add me too please? Thanks in advance!

58. Avatar of ADreamer ADreamer says:

Hello!
    I think your work with the Khuzdul dictionaries is really brilliant.
    If you are still adding to the mailing list, may you add me too? It would be lovely to avoid scribd membership

59. Avatar of Ross Glew Ross Glew says:

Hi, i know im a bit late but if i could be added to the mailing list that would be great. Thanks

60. Liz says:

Hey, I know I’m a bit late, but this is just awesome! May I join the mailing list, too? :)

61. Avatar of Anita Anita says:

I’d like to join as well, if you’re still adding email addresses. Using Scribd has actually been a bit of a nightmare, with how they’re set up, so a PDF would be absolutely lovely!

62. akblake says:

I would also like to be added, if you would please, as scribd is not the most friendly of sites to play with and a pdf is far easier when it comes to searching a long list!

63. Lex says:

could I join the mailing list, as well? This looks absolutely brillient.

64. Kris says:

Hi, I have been using your dictionaries almost religiously for the past few months, and I just realised they were going to go offline! Could I possible be added to your mailing list for the updated versions if you are still taking email addresses? Thank you so much.

65. Guy Hoedemakers says:

I have the same problem as Kris. I’m a vivid roleplayer on lotro and been trying to learn the dwarven language since 2012, using your website. Never bothered to ask for a copy of the dictionaries before, since the website served me just fine.
    But since you’ll be going offline I was wondering if you could send a copy of those PDF my way aswell. If it’s not too much of a hassle.

Thanks soo much for the years of updating and helping the community. Much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Guy

• Hi Guy, to clear out a bit of confusion. I’m not going offline. The only thing going offline are the outdated khuzdul documents, as these will be replaced with updated once (as soon as I have been able to update all). I’ve added you to the list. Cheers, Roy

• Guy Hoedemakers says:

Ohh, must have mis-understood it (clearly). But this is great news, thanks for the update. And double thanks for adding me to the mailing list. I will make great use of it, in combination with the updated site. Thank you very much :)
        Kind regards,
        Guy

66. Nath says:

Hey there, I just found out about your amazing work right now. I would be so thrilled to be added to the mailing list and get a copy of that dictionnary, if it is still possible. Seriously, it’s great what you’re doing here!!

67. RavensJewel says:

Please add me to the mailing list as well. I downloaded everything from Scribd a few weeks ago and have been delightedly learning and translating with the tools since then, but I would love to see anything revised or new that you put together. Thank you for all the work you have done on this!

68. Wild-eyed Researcher says:

Could I please be added to the mailing list too? I’d rather avoid Scribd but really want to use your fantastic dictionary as reference material in a fanfic I’m writing. I’ll quote you as a source of course: such incredible hard work NEEDS recognition!

69. Avatar of Mary Mary says:

Hi! I suppose you’ve gotten many comments already about getting added to the mailing list, would you awfully mind adding me too? Thanks, I can’t seem to download the PDFs, and I’m really fascinated by them. By the way, your work is very awesome. Once again, thanks!

70. I would love to be added to the mailing list on this. The work you have done here is AMAZING!

71. Noah Grassle says:

Hello could I please be added to the list I would love to see the more worked on copies it would be great to be able to speak some dwarven with my friends.

72. Phoenix says:

Hey there, would it be possible to add me to the email list as well? I couldn’t get the document off of Scribd and I’m really interested in this. Great job!

73. Eric Keith says:

Hey, I would also love a copy of this dictionary! If it isn’t to much trouble.

74. Olli says:

Hey, I would like one too if possible. Thank you for the great content anyways!

75. vinicius says:

hi i need some help how speels “king under the mountain” in khuzdul ?

• That would be Uzbad undu ‘abbad or Uzbad undu ‘Urd (when referring to the Lonely Mountain). Though other forms for “king” can be used in this case I believe it to be the best option.

76. Hi…. Uhm, I only recently found this, mainly because my Tolkien forte was Elvish. However after several months of going back and fort between the LOTR trilogy and the two presentations of the Hobbit on the big screen, I find myself drawn more and more towards the culture and language of the Naugrim. Could you please add me to the mailing list to receive the Khuzdul dictionary? I hope I’m not too late. Thanks, and may the hair on your head never fall off :) .

77. I have absolute respect for the effort and glory you have poured into this. Add me to the list of souls eager for a direct copy once things are updated.

If they’re updated already, excellent, just let me know in email :D

I actually attempted login over at scribd but they made the login process arduous AND they want money for their shoddy web-craftsmanship. I’d rather respect the craftsman directly.

78. Crys says:

I have been looking for a way to translate Gimli’s “faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens ” into Khuzdul- just wondering if you have had a try on it? I found the writing in Elvish but that just won’t do for a Dwarf!

Thanks :)

• Hello there. You are in luck, this is one of the sayings I’ve translated in the new documentation to be released soon: “Binazrâm hu tada taglibi ‘aimu-galikh kuthu tharkh tadishi.”
      Info on the translation: bin = without/lacking azrâm = faith | hu = he | tada = though there is a word for “who” in neo-khuzdul, this wouldn’t fit here in this translation as it is used for questions, hence the choice for “tada”, which means “that” | taglibi = (he) speaks/says | aimu = journey / galikh = good (“good-journey” = farewell) | kuthu = when | tharkh = the road | tadishi = (it) darkens. A literal translation would give: “Without faith is he that says farewell when the road darkens”.

79. Custard says:

Amazing work! I’d also like to be added to the list. Thank you!

80. La'Kay says:

Hi! I’d love to be added to the email list as well. This is a gem to find and thank you for taking your time to make it! :D

81. Brylee Jayne says:

Hi! I seriously admire the effort you’ve put into this and was just wondering if I could be added to the mailing list as well? Thank you in advance!

82. ari says:

This is amazing work. Would like to be put on the list as well. Thank you!

83. S. says:

Hi there – I’d like to go on the mailing list for the updated PDFs, please!

The current version is great – I wish I had time to get a better handle on the grammar :)

84. Please, add me in your next mailing list. I had just began the reading of The Hobbit for my son and daugther (5 and 2). He was amazed by the films and hopefuly he will be amazed by the books as well and I would like to learn more a bout the secret language.

Best regards

85. Gilkluk says:

Add me to The List please

86. Arik Meijer says:

In all my years of reading fantasy books and documents I have never stumbled across a more complete, comprehensive and detailed (fan)dictionary. You deserve high praise and had I had the means to fund your work, I would. This is art in it’s most spectacular form and you should be very proud of your efforts. I can add little else to the praise you’re already receiving in the comments, so I will leave you with this request.
    For several months I’ve been working on the lettering for a future tattoo sleeve, and I would very much like it if you could help me with your expertise in Khuzdul as the foundation for translating a text. Should you be so inclined, kindly reply to this comment or send me an e-mail. Thank you for all you have done for Tolkien fans around the globe. Honor to you.
    Arik.

87. I was wondering if you could please add me to the mailing list for the files? This is really great work and has really helped me in learning more Khuzdul.